IBO 5 grains per pound!

Tournament discussion happens here.

Postby diggo on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:58 pm

I have a question? How is a 5 grain per pound rule equitable? If I shoot a 26" draw and someone else shoots a 31" draw. we both are held to 5gpp the other guy shooting a 31" draw will shoot 50fps faster if we are shooting the same bow. It doesn't sound like much but when you miss judge yardage 50fps is a substantial difference in drop at 50 yards. So I ask, what makes this rule fair?
diggo

Postby boarro10 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:44 pm

This rule was not adopted to make things equitable but to make things SAFE! In the 1980's when we started playing this game, we shot bows over 100 pounds and very light, short arrows. You would see eguipment explode at every shoot. Since this was very dangerous the IBO contacted the bow manufactors and asked what grain to pound ratio would be safe. This is where the 5 grains of arrow weight vs each pound of draw weight came from. The short draw folks soon realized their bows would not reach the speeds of the long draw bows because of the difference in the power stroke. The rule was changed to help this problem by allowing the shorter power stroke bows to shoot 280 FPS with lighter than 5 grain per pound arrows. The manufactors felt this was safe because of the shorter power stroke. Hope this helps.
Pete
boarro10

Postby Diesel123 on Sun May 23, 2010 11:23 am

The 5 gr/lb doesnt apply if you shoot under 280 fps
Diesel123

Return to Target Archery